lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx binary

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx binary
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:39:42 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>address@hidden (Jim FitzSimons) wrote to me personally:
>
>>I downloaded a lynx binary for a solaris2 system.
>>It wanted to have the lynx.cfg in one place.
>>I did not have it in that place. Is there a way
>>without compiling lynx again to change where
>>lynx.cfg is?
>
>Jim,
>
>Please send such questions to the Lynx Development list at address@hidden
>in the future. I am copying the list with this reply.
>
>The easiest way of getting lynx to find your lynx.cfg, is, of course, to move
>it to the expected location, or to create a symbolic link to it in that
>location. If neither of these are acceptible, you could do something like
>rename lynx to lynx.bin and create a shell script named lynx in the same
>directory that calls lynx.bin -cgf=<path/to/lynx.cfg>. (be sure the lynx
>script has execute permissions!)
>
>If it is for you own use only, a simple alias using the -cfg flag shoud do
>the job. I beleive that there may be an Environment Variable that can be
>set for that too.

        A LYNX_CFG enviroment variable will override the compilation
definition, and the -cfg switch will override both of those.

        If you get a binary, you still should read the userdefs.h
comments preceding it's LYNX_CFG_FILE definition, because they explain
a number of security precautions an installer should consider in
conjunction with installing Lynx (and those comments also tell you
about the LYNX_CFG environment variable and -cfg switch).

        My recollection is that Scott offers an archive with both
the binary and the userdefs.h that was used to compile/link it.
That's a good thing for all distributors of binaries to do.  The
autoconf's configuration file would be a good thing to include,
too, for any devel binaries.

                                Fote