lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 23:02:48 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Robert Cormier,

  I am forwarding below a message that was sent to the
<address@hidden> mailing list.

To give you some context for this message, folks at SCO have been
working on internationalization of lynx for a while, this was
announced on the lynx-dev list.  Note that they are contributing their
work back to all for free use (in accordance with the GNU Public
Licence for the Lynx code).

I became aware of the Chebucto Community Net's efforts in the same
direction only recently, more by accident.  I have since then browsed
through the pages at <http://http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/> and the
It appears you have, together with others, put a lot of work and love
for detail into translating the Lynx messages and screens (among other
things).

So the purpose of this mail is basically to make you aware of each
other's efforts (if necessary), and encourage you to work together if
possible, to avoid unnecessary duplication of work.  I have not seen
the CSuite's Lynx code or the SCO changes, so I don't know how much
they diverge, or whether maybe in one of them internationalization
goes farther etc., or what other kinds of changes are in the CSuite
Lynx.  But it seems that Chebucto's code is based on an earlier
version ("2.7ac-0.36") of the development code (maintained by me and
other volunteers openly in connection with the lynx-dev list).  So I
assume that a lot of the French messages could be used for the
localization of the code contributed by SCO.

        Klaus