lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: changing startup document

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: changing startup document
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:17:26 -0400 (EDT)

>                       LYNX-DEV changing startup document

>      * From: Eric Moore <address@hidden>
>
> I want to change the startup document on lynx from the lynx page to my
> server's page because I'm experiencing difficulty more and more lately
> when the software tries to access the lynx site, but it's unavailable for
> some reason.
> please tell me how I can change the startup URL

Probably the simplest way for you to do what you want is via the
WWW_HOME environment variable.  You can set this for example in
your .login file.

This is described in the User's Guide

 Starting Lynx with the WWW_HOME environment variable.
 http://www.leb.net/blinux/blynx/Lynx_users_guide.html#5

You can also establish a habitual start page by setting the
STARTFILE in a personal lynx.cfg file or creating an alias for
lynx that puts a starting place on the effective command line
when lynx is invoked.  Or use the -book command line option...

My personal favorite is to start via a file: URL so lynx launches
independent of the status or load on _any_ http server or network
connection.  The -book option will do this for you, or you could
play with writing your own.  See for example

  http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx_start.html

--
Al Gilman

see also: search with '/' for "lynx.cfg" and for "STARTFILE" in
http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/

;