lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV agent string

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV agent string
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:22:57 +0100 (BST)

> I know this has been discused before but I can't seem to
> get it to work.  I tried a site using frames and got the
> page saying my browser didn't handle them.
>
> I set my agent string to
>       Mozilla 3.01 (compatibile_lynx2-7-1f)
> and I still get the "bad browser" page.
> Any suggestions?

Did you get Frame: lines as well.  If you did you are suffering from bad
page design/ insidious advertising, which is common to the majority of
frames sites.

With frames, there is alternative text for browsers which don't support
frames. Lynx displays both.  The idea is that the alternative text should
provide an alternative presentation of the same data, or simply links to
the information containing frames.

Initially page writers simply ignored this part, with the result that you
got bland screens.  Nowadays they tend to include a link to their browser
of choices home site (possibly actually to their authoring tools browser
of choice home site, as I suspect this is a default fall back page from
an authoring tool).

Whilst we are on about frames, it would help if people used frame names
that described the fuction of the frame not just "topframe" or "description-
of-graphical-theme-frame"; but only the truly enlightened will do this.
;
;