lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on all terminals except the console

From: Michal Rumsey
Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on all terminals except the console
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 00:57:19 -0400 (EDT)

I am having this strange problem such that i can always run lynx from any
of the 6 virtual consoles on my linux box (slackware 3.0, kernel 1.2.13),
yet I cannot successfully run lynx from any other terminal, whether it be
(1) an xterm at the console; (2) a hardwired DEC vt220 (via null modem);
(3) a vt102 telnetted into the local host (ppp connection on /dev/ttyS3).

Lynx successfully locates every remote host that I attempt as a starting
point, downloads the entire HTML source, then crashes.  The error message
that I get is as follows:
        lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or
text/plain  Exiting...

reference these two hostnames for the rest of this detail
my localhost = dino
remotehost = darkstar.cortland.edu

I have compared my /etc/termcap entries with darkstar which does work
properly - even copied that termcap to dino - and this does not seem to
affect anything.  I changed my terminal settings more times than I can
count, trying to find one that works, but to no avail.  I tried modifying
the character set used by my lynx.cfg file, and I have tried using the
lynx flag -force_html.  I installed lynx in /usr/local/bin, if this makes
any difference, however this was not compiled specifically for my machine
(I know next to nothing about which flags I am going to have to give lynx
should I compile it myself).  I thought that using darkstar's lynx binary
should work, since both dino and darkstar are running slackware linux on
i486/66's, using ELF binaries.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what could be causing the problem - or
better yet, provide me with a solution?

There is also another problem, which is simply a nuissance..  lynx run
from darkstar displays links in boldface and the selected link in
reverse-video; but when I copy this binary and the lynx.cfg to the same
respective locations on dino and run it locally, all links are displayed
in reverse-video... any idea on how to force it to display correctly once
it's on my end?  Again, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

 - Michal.
   address@hidden

;