lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: [Staff #27265] nlynx / excessive underlining in lynx 2.7

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: [Staff #27265] nlynx / excessive underlining in lynx 2.7
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:13:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Zachary H Leber wrote:

> > lynx and nlynx do not appear to do the same thing with
>  > http://www.redsox.com/score/current.html.  Only nlynx adds the
>  > underlining of the game summary.

It seems what is known as nlynx at world.std.com is Lynx 2.7.1 + fotemods
changes (of some recent date).

> Lynx Version 2.7.1
>
> File that you are currently viewing
>
>    Linkname: Game Summary
>        Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:57:15 GMT
>    Owner(s): None
>        size: 175 lines
>        mode: normal
>
> Link that you currently have selected
>
>    Linkname: Click Here for Play by Play Recap
>
> IRIX world 5.3 11091811 IP19 mips
>
>  > lynx and nlynx do not appear to do the same thing with
>  > http://www.redsox.com/score/current.html.  Only nlynx adds the
>  > underlining of the game summary.

I observe that, with the fotemods code, from a certain point on the page
all the rest of the text appears underlined (highlighted).  The reason is
invalid HTML on that page.  In this case, there is a <B> somewhere
which doesn't have a corresponding </B>.  The way Lynx deals with some
invalid HTML constructs has changed since 2.7.1 - in many cases for the
better, but in some cases it reveals errors that were not visible with
previous versions.

The development code at <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/> has yet
another approach to deal with missing end tags or tags in the wrong order,
plus a (not well documented) way to switch the parsing mode to, more or
less, the behavior of the fotemods code.  When I use the SortaSGML mode
I do not see the persistent underlining, but when I use the fotemods-like
mode it appears.

>  > On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Carl Buxbaum wrote:
>  >
>  > >
>  > > If you try olynx, lynx, or nlynx, colored or not, they all do the same
>  > > thing, it appears to be how they differentiate bold from a higher
>  > > precedence header style.
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > Carl Buxbaum
>  > > address@hidden
>  > > Customer Support, Software Tool & Die
>  > > (617)-739-0202 (voice)
>  > > --
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  > From: Help Request System <address@hidden>
>  > >  > Reply-To: address@hidden
>  > >  > To: address@hidden
>  > >  > Cc: address@hidden
>  > >  > Subject: [Staff #27265] nlynx
>  > >  >
>  > >  > nlynx seems to underline some text in addition to coloring it.
>  > >  > Specifically http://www.redsox.com/score/current.html.

This seems to be a different question from the problem that appears
with the redsox page because of an unclosed B.  It seems about how all
normal-text highlighting appears (within B, I, EM, etc. HTML
elements).

AFAIK all Lynx versions compiled with the slang library for color
support (this is the only kind of color support available with
lynx2-7-1 or lynx2-7-1+fotemods) have this behavior, to turn
underlining on in addition with colors 4 and 5.  (Whether this
actually *appears* as underlining depends on the capabilities of the
terminal or emulation.)

The development code mentioned above can also be compiled with
(n)curses for color support (if the (n)curses version supports color
as required), in which case the behavior w.r.t. use of underlining in
color mode may be different.  When compiled with slang, it still
behaves the same way.

    Klaus

;
;