lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV -color/-nocolor development confusion

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV -color/-nocolor development confusion
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:29:32 -0500

In message <address@hidden>, Foteos Macrides writes:
 ]      My indent is that color support will be turned on if the
 ] -color switch is used, if the COLORTERM enviroment variable is set,
 ] or if slang's SLtt_get_terminfo() decides that this is a color-capable
 ] terminal, even if show_color=off is in the .lynxrc file.  It is also
 ] my intent that users with personal accounts, but not necessarily shell
 ] accounts, and not necessarily able to include the -color switch or
 ] to get a sysadmin to fix up a bad terminfo/termlib entry for their
 ] most frequently used terminal, be able to save show_color=on in
 ] their .lynxrc file, and have that act like the -color switch. That
 ] means that if, on occassion, they connect with a non-color terminal,
 ] they must invoke the 'o'ptions menu and set "show color (&)" OFF.
*snip*

Let me butt in and say that IMHO this would be clearer and easier to
understand if

(a) the option was called "Try to force colorized display?" and the settings
    were "yes" and "no",
(b) if the terminal description indicates color support, either
    (1) the option should change to "Force non-colorized display?"
    or
    (2) the option should disappear or be disabled

Just an idea.

With curses, (a) would not could not exist.  (b)(1) could exist for
curses and might actually be useful if the terminal was a poor emulator
or you happen to like lynx in B&W better and don't want to edit (or
can't edit) your config file.

That's all.

--jss.
;