lynx-dev

RE: LYNX-DEV Fatal error

From: David Hardy
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV Fatal error
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:04:15 +0100

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:50, Andrew McArdle (address@hidden ) wrote:

> Hope this bug/problem hasn't be already reported.
>
> Whilst looking at the following URL <http://www.mircx.com/scripts5.htm> Lynx
> Version 2.7.1 proceded to dump the following to screen, then causing a core
> dump:
>
> [...]
> HTML: ****** Maximum nesting of 800 tags exceeded!
> HTML: ****** Maximum nesting of 800 tags exceeded!
> HTML: ****** Maximum nesting of 800 tags exceeded!
> HTML: *784** Maximum nestHTML: ****** Maximum nesting of 800 tags exceeded!
>
> I used this on Debian Linux 2.0.29 on a i486 unknown.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew

I don't think that the fault is in Lynx but with the HTML script. The script
contains lines of the form

(the above is actually one line in the script). The script repeatedly uses the
<b> and <tt> tags without closing them and putting the script through the
WebTechs HTML validation service (http://www.webtechs.com/html-val-svc/)
produces over 60 screens of errors. I suspect that the page was built under the
matching <td> but Lynx (and the validator) don't agree that it does.

David

| David Hardy,                        | E-mail: address@hidden |
| Department of Information Services, +-------------------------------+
| University of Northumbria,          | Silence is not only golden,   |
| Northumberland Building,            | it's seldom misquoted.        |
| Ellison Place,                      |                               |
| Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, U.K.  |               - Bob Monkhouse |