lynx-dev

Re: What is the difference? {There is a difference.} LYNX-DEV

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: What is the difference? {There is a difference.} LYNX-DEV
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:22:30 +0900 (JST)

> > BTW, a while back I sent a patch to redefine the default color settings
[...]
> > -color is really unusable with the default colors as they are, unless the
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I disagree.  I have been using them unchanged for many months, before

If the defaults are still:
#COLOR:0:black:white
#COLOR:1:blue:white
#COLOR:2:yellow:blue
#COLOR:3:green:white
#COLOR:4:magenta:white
#COLOR:5:blue:white
#COLOR:6:red:white
#COLOR:7:magenta:cyan

then I must agree with Laura that they are not desirable.
        1) On our FMR-70HL2's, which are the only teaching PCs available
           to us, the telnet terminal emulation (which cannot be changed
           because nothing, and I mean I have tried and tried, is compatible
           with the BIOS on those machines) does not support background
           color, so the default above is black on black (Uh, yes, nothing.)
           for regular text and the title.  The others are not particularly
           bad except that blue on black (remember background is black) is
           hard to see.  Input to the line editor is black on black. :(
        2) On my notebook NEC9821Ne, which runs FreeBSD2.2.1(98) the console
           seems to be able to handle only one or the other of background
           or foreground (or something like that; it really doesn't make
           sense to me).  The result is that the above default is black
           letters on an all white background for EVERYTHING except the
           status bar, which for some reason is black letters on a blue
           background.  Yes, that means the only way to see you're
           navigating links is to be in advanced user mode and look at
           the status bar.

Unless someone has the exact opposite of the problems I would undergo
with that default left as is, I would propose, again we're talking default
-- something that everyone can LIVE WITH  --, something like:
#COLOR:0:white:black
#COLOR:1:cyan:black
#COLOR:2:yellow:black
#COLOR:3:magenta:black
#COLOR:4:green:black
#COLOR:5:red:black
#COLOR:6:yellow:black
#COLOR:7:magenta:black

Notice that the only repeated color is 3 and 7.  This is okay because
color 3 is not yet implemented anywhere.  In the default above, 1 and 5
are needlessly repeated, and green is not used.

__Henry
;
;