lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Forcing download

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Forcing download
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:11:07 -0700

> I'm using lynx 2.7 under linux (2.0.30 kernel) and I'm experiencing a
> frustrating situation. I have to get a huge file (20Mb) from a http
> server. This is a gzipped tar archive (let's call it file.tar.gz)
>
> If I do a:  lynx www.server.com/file.tar.gz
>
> the file gets downloaded as text and can't be uncompressed when the
> transfer's complete. I know because a
>       lynx -head www.server.com/file.tar.gz
> ... shows that the file is send with a Content: text/plain header.
>
> How can I force lynx to download the file as binary instead of loading it?
>
> I've tried forcing it by adding any of the following:
>
> SUFFIX:.gz:application/octet-stream
> SUFFIX:.tar:application/octet-stream
> SUFFIX:.tar.gz:application/octet-stream
>
> etc.
>
> The damned thing keeps getting fetched as a text file.
> Ciao,
> G.C.

        It sounds to me like the maintainer of the server
        will have to fix his httpd's configuration.

        Another way might be to create a page of your own --
        in HTML -- and over a link to this .tar.gz file.  Then
        highlight that (using Lynx in interactive mode) and
        hit the "D" key.  This might force it to be fetch the file
        in binary mode.

        You might also try using the -raw switch.

--
Jim Dennis,                                address@hidden
Proprietor,                          address@hidden

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <address@hidden>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A
;