lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx271ssleay.uue

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx271ssleay.uue
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 20:33:41 -0400

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Wes Price <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
> >Thanks for the SSL patches.  Is there some centralized place I should have
> >gone to find out that SSLeay 0.8 wouldn't work?
>
>       The SSL patch update I send out yesterday will work with the
> v0.8.0 library if you fix it up.  A dangling #endif should be removed
> in crypto.c, the build procedure for it should be checked to be sure
> it incorporates all of the new crypto.c sublists (you'll get unresolved
> global errors on linking Lynx otherwise, 'cuz those won't have been
> compiled and incorporated into the library), and delete #include pxy_ssl.c
> from ssl.c.  On VMS with MULTINET, bss_sock.c needs tweaking to use it's
> socket library functions (define read, write, and close to socket_read,
> socket_write, and socket_close).  On VMS with DECC, read_pwd.c needs to
> include <starlet.h>.  Alternatively, wait for v0.8.1 and use a v0.6.n
> library.  Yesterday's SSL patch update will use the correct code for a
> pre-v0.8.0 library automatically.

One note - only certain builds of 0.8.0 won't work.  Linux worked fine for
static libraries.  For shared libraries (linux or bsd) you have to fix
crypto.c and ssl.c as above.  0.8.1 should correct the above problems so
it is probably best to wait for it.  OTOH, Lynx is built for so many
platforms that it will expose more bugs and portability problems than most
other software, so you may want to try SSLeay 0.8.0 just to see if it will
compile correctly on your system if it isn't one that is already known
about, or there may be an 0.8.2.

;
;