lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:32:59 -0400 (EDT)

> I assume that what is _really_ being proposed is something like:
>
> execl(COPY_PATH, File, SugFile, (char *)NULL);
right (we'd already decided to get rid of hardcoded paths in the program).

> rather than using /bin/cp, since there should never be a hard coded
> path to a file to exec coded in lynx's code itself.
>
> What function does VMS use in place of exec?  What does Windows use?
The VAX C runtime library has a 'system()' function, but it is generally
conceded to be unusable (in the same context where a Unix application
would use system) because the stdout/stderr are redirected to the VAX
equivalent of /dev/null.  In this context, I've used lib$spawn.

> Perhaps what is needed is a LYexec function which then has #ifdef's
> for the various environments?
that is, in fact, what is needed.

--
Thomas E. Dickey