lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:50:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >Maybe with slang, color, etc. it's necessary but compiled with plain
> >"solaris2" and "freebsd-ncurses" and using a VT100 terminal emulator I
> >see no need for the first or the last characters of a link containing a
> >search string to be different of the other characters of the string.
> >Let's see what happens. VT100 can display text as plain, bold, reversed,
> >underlined or a mix of these. Links without any emphasis in the HTML
> >appear as bold and the current link as reversed, which makes a good
> >contrast and makes easy to see which is the current link. When you search
> >a string it is displayed as bold-reversed-underlined (underlined is hard
> >to see when mixed with reversed) which contrasts with the reversed of the
> >rest of the link. When that link becomes the current one the search
> >string remains as bold-reversed-underlined and the rest of the link
> >becomes reversed. This also gives a good contrast which makes easy to see
> >which link is the current one. This means that the way it is now doesn't
> >make the current link to be more visible. [...]
>
>       You are speculating from an arm chair.

I'm not speculating, Foteos, I'm just reporting what I see. Besides, my
chair has no arms.

> I had it, originally, the way you're speculating that it should be, and
> changed it when I discovered -- empirically -- that when the WHEREIS
> target encompasses the first and/or last character of the link being made
> current, if you don't give them the attributes of an un-emphasized current
> link, you can't tell where the current link actually begins and/or ends
> (you could know where it begins by turning show_cursor on, but still
> wouldn't know where it ends if the emphasis overlaps the last character).

It was also empirically that I found out that giving the first and the last
character of a current link (having a search string on it) the attributtes
of an un-emphasized current link is not needed and I gave examples. I
would like you to give examples of documents where it's needed. By the way,
after a search, if the user goes to the information page and comes back, the
emphasis of the search string is lost.

Ismael