lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV VU#5135 (Lynx vulnerability?) (fwd)

From: Jason Baker
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV VU#5135 (Lynx vulnerability?) (fwd)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:19:33 -0700

On %M %N, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> Being able to read/copy files is =not= really an issue.  Postulating any
> sort of effective _system_ management, LYNX is either running _as_the_user_
> who invoked it; or in the case where it's being used as a 'public access'
> browser/viewer it is running as _it's_own_ userid.  In _either_ case, the
> *system* access-controls are still in effect, and unless LYNX is running
> with an effective userid of _root_, cannot access any 'sensitive' files.
> Note: '/etc/passwd' is *not* a 'sensitive' file, on a properly managed
> system.  Everybody *should* be running 'shadow passwords' at this point,
> whereupon the readability of /etc/passwd is not a "significant" issue.

Fair enough, but a bit dangerous, too - DG/UX only just now has FINALLY
got shadow passwords, as of 5.4R4.11MU03 (MU = maintenance update, kinda
like a patchlevel).

I know for a fact there's tons of systems out there running 5.4R3.10.
Since Lynx shouldn't be able to do this, it's a bit unfair to blame the
OS for the lack of a feature to counteract what Lynx is letting the
users get away with. :)

Of course, I tend to consider any system with a guest account a system
with a big "start hacking here" sign, but sometimes it's needed.

Jason

--
 address@hidden                         |   PGP key available
 Systems Administrator, Information Systems         |   from MIT keyserver.

  To err is human; to really bugger things up requires the root password.