lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Advice requested on tracing an HTML problem

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Advice requested on tracing an HTML problem
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:23:48 -0400 (EDT)

> workaround. When I try adding -trace to the command line I get a rapidly
> scrolling trace of the 20K or so of HTML. Can this be piped to a file, or
> otherwise controlled? References on the list to the use of trace to
> identify such problems suggests I am missing something here.
it's written to stderr (a little difficult to redirect on MSDOS).  possibly
it should be altered to make stderr write to a file (that would be at least
as portable, and a lot more useful).

> A second question - one of etiquette(?) A couple of others have generously
> created Lynx for DOS-386 and OS/2 and made the binaries available. As I
> normally use the WATCOM C/C++ compiler for 386DOS apps (and prefer it to
> the other three compilers I have) am I likely to upset anyone if I should
> find the problem, fix it, but have used this compiler for the purpose.
> Obviously, there would be a need for yet more #ifdefs to cope with the
> personality of yet another compiler (and curses)
the ifdef's need to be revised (as is, there's a number of different things
tied to DOSPATH).

I recommend using (sparingly) three classes of ifdef's:

        + compiler (please don't use the predefined symbols - make a derived
          name so they can all adhere to the same convention)

        + platform

        + libraries

--
Thomas E. Dickey