lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV IBM RS/6000 compiling problem

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV IBM RS/6000 compiling problem
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:51:34 -0700 (PDT)

I sent the substance of the following to lynx-dev on 26 May 1997, but
it didn't seem to make it to the archive, probably because I wasn't
subscribed to the list. My apologies if anyone got a double posting.
I compiled lynx 2-7-1 with Fote's latest modifications and with wais
capability on an aix32 system on 25 May 1997. It seems to be working
fine.

>    * From: address@hidden
>    * Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:49:56 +0200
>
>A few days ago I downloaded the lynx source files, but when I was trying
>to make an executable file I've got an error:
>
>/lynx/lynx2-7-1 =>make aix32
>
>        cd WWW/Library/rs6000; make LYFLAGS="-DDIRED_SUPPORT -DLONG_LIST  -D
>EXP_CHARTRANS "
>        cc -c -o ../../Library/rs6000/HTParse.o -O -DDEBUG  -DDIRED_SUPPORT
>-DLONG_LIST  -DEXP_CHARTRANS   -I../../Library/Implementation/ -DXMOSAIC_HAC
>K -DACCESS_AUTH  ../../Library/Implementation/HTParse.c
>"/usr/include/sys/dir.h", line 217.8: 1506-030 (S) Identifier dirent cannot
>be redeclared.
>make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
>Make Quitting.
>make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
>
>Make Quitting.

I believe that this is fixed when you use gcc rather than cc. However
the AIX make utility doesn't change to gcc, even when CC=gcc is in the
environment. In order to get lynx to compile I had to put a "cc" that
pointed to "gcc" in my path ahead of the standard "cc". I used a shell
script, but a link ought to work better. I suspect that GNU make might
also work, but I didn't try it.

                                     Doug

__
Doug Kaufman