lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 19:56:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> Ok, I seem to have figured out the pattern.  It seems to be something
> strange about the way that I'm connecting to the machine.  If I connect
> via serial lines and a DECServer (all of out dial-up lines, in several of
> our labs), then lynx will not redraw the screen properly.  Connection from
> the DECServer is made using telnet (i.e. 'telnet host' from the Local>
> prompt).  If I connect directly via telnet to the machine via a PPP
> connection (using SLiRP and going through the SAME DECServer), then
> suspending works properly.  I'm not sure WHY it behaves this way.  I
> tested with TeraTerm in both serial(doesn't work) and TCP/IP modes(works).
>
> Incidentally, pressing ! and returning to lynx does nothing when it messes
> up. SIGH...
>
> Any DECServer experts out that that know if something about the telnet
> settings could be causing this?  Incidentally, other programs suspend and
> resume fine.  Lynx works fine on SunOS (nyx) and Linux boxes on campus,
> but none of the HP's... sigh!

Ok, I've figured out the exact problem!  I did an stty -a with both login
methods, and diff'ed the two.  When logging in via the DECServer, rows and
columns are both set to 0.  When I log in using a telnet program on the
PC, rows and columns are set to 24 and 80 (or whatever size I have the
window set to).  By manually entering 'stty rows 24 cols 80' at the prompt
before using lynx when logged in via the DECServer.  Is this normal
behavior?  I tried this on the Linux box (setting stty rows 0 cols 0) and
it still suspended and resumed properly (ncurses).

Incidentally I did some tests to see if I could figured out WHAT was
causing it not to work, and 'stty rows 24 cols 0' causes a core dump upon
exiting lynx on HP if it has been suspended and resumed.  'stty rows 0
cols 80' acts like both being 0.  So, the only way to get it to work
properly is to have both set to non-zero values.