lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV New version please

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New version please
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:45:51 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Jim wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> Before I say anything else I'd like to say "WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW - and
> indeed Wow"  What an amazing program Lynx is!  I can browse the web and

Thank you for your kind words.

> First and foremost, Our network manager is refusing to update the copy of
> Lynx on the university network.  His name is Alex Sharaz and we are at
> Hull uni, his email is : address@hidden  According to him there
> aren't enough people at the site to warrant an upgrade!!  The reason that

That's a bit like the old joke of two shoe salesmen going to darkest
Africa, two hundred years ago.  The first one cabled home "No good, no one
wears shoes", the other cabled home "Wonderful opportunity, no one wears
shoes yet!".

Please let him know that Lynx is a phenonmenal browser, that emphasises
content over fluff; that there are thousands of people all over the world
using Lynx; that for many blind or sight-impaired people it is their only
way to access the web; and that it is indeed shortsighted to think that
GUI browsers are the only game in town.

Even if he accepts none of these arguments, he should still upgrade. The
current stable version of Lynx, 2.7.1, supports frames, tables to a lesser
extent,and colours,  and is in every way superior to the version you are
using now.

What has he got to lose? Install time is an hour or less.