lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx' indentation display

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx' indentation display
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:24:58 GMT

[David Smith]
> Hi, we've had some display problems here using lynx.
>
> Our company has an internal web, and all the manual pages for our
> in-house software (tons of it) is on the web, and makes extensive
> use of the <MENU> html tag. We use Netscape to access the manual
> pages, and lynx scripts for quick command-line display from Unix
> shells.
>
> The trouble is, Netscape displays the <MENU> indentations one way,
> but lynx displays the indentations another.

Both browsers are in error-recovery mode; <menu> can not nest.  If you
<dir> elements are for simple lists.  From RFC 1866:

   The <MENU> element is a list of items with typically one line per
   item.  The menu list style is typically more compact than the style of
   an unordered list.

   The content of a <MENU> element is a sequence of <LI> elements.
   Nested block elements are not allowed in the content of <MENU>
   elements.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA