lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 5

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 5
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:47:51 -0600

Michael,

I think you are missing the point that several others are trying to make, so
let me try it.

Lynx _USED TO_ use a method of compiling that involved an entry in the Makefile
for each system we could get one for. Thus, if you were Joe average on a BSDI
system (freely replace BSDI with one of many other supported targets such as
Linux) you typed

  make BSDI

and watched it happen. The problem with this approach is that many systems were
set up differently, and often the user didn't have sufficient knowledge to
fix the Makefile.

The new approach is to use autoconfig to determine which options are needed,
and write a makefile. This makefile should now work just fine for Joe average.
If Bob Superhacker wants to customize the makefile, he starts with a better
makefile using autoconfig, and can customize it to his little hacker heart's
fondest desire. The idea is to try to support Joe Average.

The autoconfig transition is not yet complete. When it is, the generated
makefile should have a _single_ target that will build lynx on the system
outoconfig was run on, no matter how (well, within reason) odd it is. Again,
someone with more indepth knowledge can modify it to suit their own tastes.

It sounds like what you really need to do to get whay you want is to help the
autoconf developers better recognize BSDI and 4.4BSD and select better makefile
options for them. I am sure they would appreciate such help.

Remember though, the idea is to be able to compile a working Lynx on as many
systems (many with odd installations) as possible, not to give the very best
compile options possible on some systems. The option always remains for the
user to modify the generated makefile for most optimal performance on that
one system.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,