lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 3

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 3
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:01:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Larry W. Virden <address@hidden> writes:
> >Do you have a specific URL to which you can refer us that displays
> >the characteristics in question?
>    Here is one: http://www.ropnet.ru/ogonyok/dos/199719/contents.html.
> That's for this week only, next week replace "199719" with "199720" and so
> on, since this is a weekly magazine.
>    Please try that URL and see that my suggestions are still pertinent.

Well I tried it, and it works just fine - all the characters seem to be in
the right places, except see below.  What is called alt-8x16 in the
linux kbd package seems to be one font that has the right codepoints.
I don't really read Russian :), so I may overlook something that would be
obvious to you.  But what I see on my screen looks right.  Lynx doesn't
seem to swallow any 8-bit control characters.  [Since I am still using an
older linux kernel which displays a glyph for 0x9b instead of interpreting
the control character... there's a capital letter there.]

This works with display character set "Transparent" with current
development code.  I think it should work the same way with the version
you have.
With standard Lynx 2.7.1, the closest you can come to "really raw" is
setting display character set to KOI8-R and turning "raw" on.
That seems to give the same result.  Of course what you would be using
wouldn't really have anything to do with KOI8-R, it's just cheating.

Of course neither way is really recommended.  You are restricted to
view pages correctly which happen to use the same character set you have.
No translation of characters possible.  HTML entities will appear wrong.

I found an interesting quirk, at least on sol.slcc.edu.  The characters
in the Title are miscounted, which leads to wrapping of the last character
on the next line, which in turn messes up page display, especially after
paging through several screens.  This doesn't happen if Lynx is compiled
with slang (in that case truncation instead of wrapping occurs at the
right screen edge).  Lynx relies on something like
   sprintf(cp, " %68.68s%s\n", title, percent)
to construct the top screen line.  If title contains the word "OGONEK"
(in this Cyrillic charset), the resulting string has two spaces too many
at the beginning.  Go figure...

   Klaus

;
;