lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV feedback from user

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV feedback from user
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 01:29:30 -0400 (EDT)

Here is some feedback from one of the people using the numbered_forms patch.
Since he gave me permission to forward his comments, I'm including them below.
He is blind and uses braille.
(Oh, and I should mention he was using the DEVEL CODE based version at the
time, although he now also has a copy of the fotemods based version...)
--le

> Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 13:08:26 -0700 (MST)
> Subject: Re: ’ etc
>
> Hi, Laura,
> I do like the lynx work you've done, and  don't feel you wasted your time
> at all. I spent a good  deal of  Thursday night showing [name deleted] in
> L.A. what it's like, using my account here on primenet to demonstrate.
> We used it on two forms he'd had  difficulty with before, and he  managed
> complete both successfully; he  then tried  it  with standard 2.7,
> and  did not find it to be as easy. He says, "Anything with
> numbers is always  easier".
>
> As for me, I've had  some difficulty with that UltimateTV site we
> talked about, and I found it much  easier. It  also aids in remembering
> the
> layout  of  the form from one visit to another, because the structure
> and layout are more easily perceived.
> So as for  me, I'm glad  you've the work you have on this--and since i
> don't have the address at hand, you are welcome  to forward my comments.
> Since the form-field-numbering  is  an  option, and folks who might find
> it awkward aren't  stuck with it, I see no reason  why it shouldn't be
> offered--unless someone improves on it.
> (In fact, I'm  spoiled enough  by  it that I'd miss it if  it  weren't
> there. So, see what  you started?
>
> As for those Internet Explorer graphics on the MSNBC site. If the
> normal  punctuation is included for those who use other browsers, I'd
> vote for ignoring those graphics  altogether. I suspect that for sighted
> folks, it would at least break up the text. In Braille, yes, you can
> scan past it, but why bother? And in speech,''' well, that  would  have to
> be the most annoying of all. I  would  only opt for the concept of
> finding ways to  render them if regular punctuation were omitted when
> these graphics were used, and in this case at  least, I think all of the
> normal punctuation is still there.
>
> What  I'd really like to see, of course, is a trend away  from the idea
> that just because  you  can readily download a browser, that all of  the
> "standards" get  changed to accommodate  the new system. Yes, it makes
> for market dominance, but not for viable, reliable communication.

;
;