lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug-report

From: Ian McGrath
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug-report
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 19:20:37 -0230 (NDT)

My name is Ian McGrath, and I'd like to report what I think might be a
bug in the LYNX text browser.  I am not using the latest version, so this
bug may have been fixed for 2.7.1; however, I didn't see it listed when I
scanned through the bug fixes on your web page.

I'm using LYNX version 2.3.6 BETA on a VAX/VMS system.  I was on the
Netscape pages looking to download a new version of the Netscape browser
when LYNX crashed and provided me with the following information:

IM> %SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=04, virtual
IM> address=0000001C, PC
IM>
IM> =000249FC, PSL=03C00004
IM> %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
IM> module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs
IM> PC
IM>
IM> LYFORMS         popup_options                    9918      000000D8
IM> 000249FC LYFORMS         change_form_link                 9457
IM> 000000B3  000241E3 LYMAINLOOP      mainloop                        13865
IM> 00000FF6  0002892A LYMAIN          main                            14163
IM> 00000B4D  0002791D
IM>
IM> A Fatal error has occured in Lynx Ver. 2.3.6 BETA
IM> Please report this error to the Lynx development team
IM> with a description of what you were doing at the time of the crash:
IM>     address@hidden
IM> Press RETURN to clean up:

This situation has been reproduced three times on two seperate occasions,
all on the same page:

(http://www.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/client_download.html)

The problem occurred when I attempted to use forms to enter information
about my system so that I could download the new software.  When I
clicked on the form to select the product I wished to download (the first
form) I recieved the above error message.  After pressing RETURN to
'clean up', I am returned to my user prompt.

I have viewed this page using Netscape 3.0, and I have a suggestion of
what the problem _might_ be.  The list of products is quite large and the
some of the names are rather lengthy.  Perhaps there was too much
information trying to be sent to the screen?  The reason I think this is
because I have used forms before with no problems on several occassions.
Also, most notably, the other three form selections on that same page
work fine.  It is just that _first_ form for the OS.

I hope I have provided enough information for you.  If you require more
information or have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me
back at any of the following addresses:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden