lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 19:50:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 16:51:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
[ ... numerous flames deleted ... ]
> ...  Since you're not actually using the fotemods
> code, and just guessing about it rather than reporting actual
> problems in it, perhaps it would be less confusing for others
> if you restricted your discussion to the devel code exclusively.

I am NOT currently using fotemods, as you obviously know from the above
statement.  I don't have thea resources to try + maintain my patches on
both fotemods and the dev code.
ALL my discussion has ALWAYS been about the devel code, which should be
obvious to anyone who has followed my posts at all.

> Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I tried my assumptions on ac-0.23 and when NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS is set,
> >the numbers indeed act like arrows, thus making the number-based commands
> >(123, 123g, 123p) inaccessible in this mode.
>
>       But you quoted Klaus' quoting of my FOTEMODS entry, which is
> inappropriate and misleading for the devel code because Klaus did not
> include my mods to allow use of the so-called 123, 123g, 123p features
> in NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS mode...

As Klaus has already pointed out in a separate post...
I did not see the mail Klaus referred to about fotemods using the 5 key.
But I will look back in the archives to see if I can find it.  However, again,
I was not talking aobut fotemods, or fotemods documentation, or fotemods
behavior.
Your name, however, is on many of the fixes that have gone into the devel code,
so you can't avoid the spotlight altogether.  But this does not refer to
"fotemods".

> >Also, 123 (no g) still behaves like goto URL, which is backward compatible
> >with older lynxes, but not with the current documentation.
>
>       You're misreading the documentation (see below), ...
> So there's lots of room for confusion unless you make very clear what
> documentation you are talking about, and in relation to what code.

I think that has been clear all along.
I think the documentation (the DEVEL CODE documentation) could be
a little clearer as it does imply what I said, at least in my mind.

>       Most importantly, though, please stop posting your mere guesses
> about what the fotemods code does, which seem consistently wrong, and are
> a source of confusion for other readers.

The "guesses" (since substantiated) in my recent mail were about the devel
code, which again have fixes with your name on them.

>       The documentation you changed was intended to communicate,
> perhaps inadequately, that when LINKS_ARE_NUMBERED mode is on, the
> 7 and 1 keypad and keyboard keys are mapped to those numbers, and
> not to HOME and END, as in NUMBER_AS_ARROWS mode, but you can use
> ^A and ^E as keyboard synonyms for HOME and END -- which is why I
> added support for ^A and ^E as keyboard synonyms for HOME and END.

The documentation should say that then.  As it stands it implies some
connection between ^A, ^E and "Links are numbered".

This is all supposed tobe CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about
problems BEFORE they go into an official release.
You are taking everything personally.

> >I don't remember saying anything about the list command.
>
>       Then reread your recent messages.

Ok, I did, and the only reference i made to the list command was in the
last update on my own patches, May 8.

> >The fixes I sent for Lynx_users_guide.html had to do with a typo +
> >the claim that ^A and ^E don't work in NUMBERS_AS_ARROWS mode.
> >(I tried them and they do work.)
>
>       It does not say that.  Re-read it, and strip the excess
> meaning you're adding to it in your mind (which is wrong, like
> all your mere guesses thus far about what the fotemods code does).

Read my reply to Klaus.  I think the doc misleads the user into thinking
that ^A and ^E are somehow tied to keypad mode.

>       The problem, Laura, is that the fotemods and devel code
> have reached the point of seemingly irreconcilable differences,
> such that the fotemods code can no longer be viewed as a subset
> of the overall devel code with stuff I've worked in for use on VMS
> and "near-production grade" use on Unix, plus stuff I've added that
> will eventually be worked into the devel code by the currently
> active developers...

I've never viewed fotemods as a subset of the devel code.
In fact, I expressed a concern at one point that they were diverging,
as this made it hard for outside parties (such as myself) to know which
version to base patches on.  (For my purposes, I need/want the form bug fix and
a working 123g command.  Both fotemods and the devel code now support both.)

You obviously have made and continue to make many important contributions to
lynx.  It would be a shame if the devel project and your work diverged to the
point of becoming adversarial.
I hope that doesn't happen.

Take a break.
--le