lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem page

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem page
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 04:15:13 -0400

From: address@hidden
> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:
>
> > Finally, this page, and other pages at this site, are sprinkled with
> > ‘ and ’ strings.  Shouldn't these be translated into something
> > else?
> > They come out literally in the rendered page.
>
> They don't come out as anything on Netscape, but one of them seems to be

I've been seeing more and more of this stuff as well.  Any cases of fancy
quotation marks, apostrophes, dashes, etc. disappear when browsing with
Netscape.  It's because the font I use (Lucida Sans) apparently doesn't
define any character for these.

Therein lies the crux.  Depending on the charset being processed, does
one want to display the character literally, the octal, or translate into
a different, available character?  I wouldn't mind, myself, seeing the
fance open and close quotation marks, apostrophes, dashes, dots, etc.
turned into something viewable.  But I also don't mind seeing them left
as octal codes.

Perhaps what is needed is for the screen readers to be enhanced to read
those sequences as quote, dash, or whatever?
;