lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx for Alpha/VMS 6.2

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx for Alpha/VMS 6.2
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 23:24:29 -0500 (EST)

Hung-Ming Cheng <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>Hi Foteos:
>
>We are an Alpha/VMS 6.2 site.  Could you tell me if there is a version
>of Lynx for Alpha/VMs?  I checked the univ. of Kansas seb sit, but
>could not find the right version. Thanks.
>
>Hung-Ming Cheng
>Braille Institue Library Services
>Los Angeles, CA 90029

        I am CCing this to the address@hidden email list, which you
should use instead of private email for questions and discussion about
Lynx.  You do not need to be subscribed to post messages, and you can
read replies via:  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

        All formally released versions of Lynx during the past four years,
through the current v2.7.1, compile and run on AXP/VMS (because I did the
substantive development with that combination, and then checked out or
extended the enhancements in guest accounts for Unix 8-).  Perhaps you
are seeking binaries instead of sources to compile yourself.  UKans
stopped generating binaries for AXP/VMS of formal releases quite some
time ago, and I cannot distribute binaries from here.  The "entry
point" URL for seeking information concerning sources, binaries, and
support materials for Lynx is now:  http://lynx.browser.org/

        That URL will lead you immediately to the sources for the
formal v2.7.1 release, and to the current development code.

        Note that I have retired from active Lynx development, though
I make replacement files for v2.7.1 with bug fixes and enhancements
I've made in the code I use on VMS (and checked out on solaris, but
I've closed out my guest accounts on other Unix systems) in:

        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/

That code is fine for AXP/VMS, since that's the combination with which
I am seriously using it. :) :)

        The parent link for that URL has a link for the current, actual
development code.  However, none of the currently active developers are
"VMSers", and no VMSers can be seen on the horizon for becoming active
in Lynx development, so the long-term future of Lynx on VMS presently is
unclear.

                                Fote