lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Centering <pre> text.

From: Gunnar Strand
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Centering <pre> text.
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 00:55:34 +0200 (MET DST)

Klaus Weide uttered:
> On Wed, 7 May 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 May 1997, Gunnar Strand wrote:

[about centering <pre> tags]

> Or to put it another way:
> Lynx cannot center block-level elements as a whole.  It applies centering
> to lines, not blocks (various kinds paragraphs etc.)  When CENTER or
> ALIGN=CENTER is in effect for a contained block-level element, centering
> may get (in some cases) applied to the individual lines of that, but not
> to the thing as a whole.

Ah. I assumed that there was a lookahead on each element before it was
rendered (that's how I would do it), which would look at the source as
a stream of blocks, and not a stream of lines. Now I understand why
centered tables look the way they do. OTOH should centered text not
be block centered.

> > I have been pondering this problem myself.  Just where is the best place
> > to intercept the incomming stream?
>
> How about this (just a sketchy idea):

[low-level discussion snipped, since I hardly understand it]
> Ally recursion.
> When a mini-HText child of a "containing" HText (which may be either
> another mini- or the main one) is closed, text lines and anchor lists
> of the child have to be merged/pasted/reordered/repositioned with/into
> the ones of the containing HText - taking into account the overall "style"
> (centering, indentation etc.) for the child's block.  Here it would get
> real messy...

Hm. Since each child would have its own structure of lines and environment,
I fail to see the messy part. It seems logical and straight forward to
me. Every block would have a dataarea holding the needed information
about it, height, width etc., which is used by the parent to insert it.
All you need (as someone mentioned in the old table thread, Al Gilman
I think) is a subscreen renderer. (But then I don't know squat of how the
rendering mechanic of Lynx works.)

I've just finished my table parser in perl and it works fine, albeit
a little slow, what I need is a way to let my tables follow the current
environment. Now I see I must do it myself (not much trouble, though).

Anyway, thank you for your answer!

Luck, Gunnar!
--
AlleyWay: http://pedgr297.sn.umu.se