lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV [long] "litt?eral"

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV [long] "litt?eral"
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 15:23:36 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan Sergent <address@hidden> wrote:
>The consistent misspelling of "literal" in the libwww code and
>elsewhere was bugging me a bit, so I sicced ed on it and fixed them
>all.  I've used the result for a few minutes, and it seems to work
>fine; I can't see what it would have broken, anyway.  It looks like
>it found one in the changes file too.
>
>This is from 2.7.1-ac-0.20.
>
>A context diff follows; do what you wish with it.  It is, of course,
>quite inconsequential, but it makes the code look better...

        As I discussed earlier, SGML_LITTERAL was made up by TimBL
for the original libwww (and is problematic for real SGML parsers,
thus, depricated 8-).  TimBL has never been known for his spelling
abilities (that's reverse phraseology for what I the Web verterans
actually mean 8-), but at least doesn't appear to be typo prone.
The "litteral" issue is like the "referer" issue.  Do you really
want to remove that token and reminder of the "good old days" when
Web development was based at CERN and guided earnestly by the values
of platform-independent, content-rather-glitz-oriented, worthwhile
and honest "information sharing"?!?!?

                                Fote