lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 18:32:22 -0400

> I don't want to flame you, but I really don't see the point of this
> exercise.  I hope you can take this as something else than a personal
> attack.

> Have you first verified that there *were* any incompatibilities?
> What were the problems you observed when viewing those files with
> an HTML 3.2 compliant browser?  If there were any, do your changes
> fix those problems?

The pages were not compatible with HTML 3.2.   I ran sp with the
latest HTML 3.2 DTD and fixed the problems that were identified.

>You have taken out specific things (the TAB tags) that are understood
>by Lynx but not by other browsers.  Why do you think this is an
>improvement?

My goal was to bring the files up to HTML 3.2 standards.  Tab is not
a valid HTML 3.2 tag.  So to get the files to verify using the DTD,
I needed to remove the tabs.  I really needed to remove the nbsp, but
because it was more likely to cause major visual differences, I didn't.

>Also your spelling correction of "Referer" to "Referrer" isn't useful.
>The header is transmitted as "Referer" as specified in the specs,
>whether that was originally a spelling mistake or not.

Okay - as I said, if I misspelled anything, then fix it.  Or forget
the change.  You folk are the 'keeper' of the source; you are going to
ignore what ever you don't want to use anyways.
;