lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV numbered form fields (update to web page)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV numbered form fields (update to web page)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:04:21 -0400 (EDT)

970428 Laura Eaves wrote (minus various snips):
> Wayne Buttles wrote:
> > Maybe you would like to hop on the active development bandwagon?
>
> Not really -- I'm just playing around with stuff I want fixed/added
> and which no one else has time for/interest in...
> If this had been a bigger change i would have dropped it.
> If it turns out to be a bigger change than I thought, or if people don't
> like it, I may still drop it.

please don't: if you need encouragement, have some from me.
it's been clear that others didn't have the time or interest
to get these jobs done, and i don't have the experience with C.
most Lynx users will find these improvements useful
& blind users may find them a great help (they have to tell us).

i'll see if i can test your version;
hopefully the more experienced code-writers will incorporate
your & Klaus' features in a single easy-to-grab-&-install version.
i have the problem that i compile my own personal Lynx
& have to edit  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  carefully each time.

> One thing I'm wondering about is the problem of backward compatibility
> adding a new keypad mode.  But like the 123g syntax klaus added, it's just
> an experiment.  Actually, klaus' 123g enhancement made my job a lot easier.
> That's why I switched to using the development code instead of fote's stuff.

123g is also a great idea, long having awaited implementation.
i'm not sure what you mean by "backward compatibility":
new versions of Lynx often fail to do what earlier-version users expect:
that's the price of progress (as long as it really is progress).

i don't know what ELFs are: are they something to do with daimons ... ?

;