lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV http1.1: 400 bad

From: Rick Mallett
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http1.1: 400 bad
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:20:08 -0400 (EDT)

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure when this problem started occurring. Latest Lynx release or me
> changing URLs on my site, but now Lynx 2.7.1 gives me a "http 1.1 400 bad"
> message. AOL, netscape and exchange do not.
>
> Homepage:
>
> http://www.infozine.com
>
> these links off it...

> make the error come back.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated as we would like to keep our site as
> accessible as possible.

The URL generated by lynx as a result of this reference is as follows:

   http://www.infozine.com/../mirror/index.html

which is basically asking the server to access a directory called `mirror'
which is located one level above the server root directory. This is presumably
not what you want, since a reference to

   http://www.infozine.com/mirror/index.html

actually yields the page entitled `InfoZine - World Wide Mirror'. To correct
the problem simply replace the ../toc and ../mirror by /toc and /mirror.

It would seem that the other browsers adhere to the principle `do what
I mean not what I say' somewhat better than lynx whose development has
often been driven by demand for a tool which adheres to the philosophy
`do exactly what I tell you to do and do not presume to know what I am
thinking'.

Hope this helps.