lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV New code for testing

From: Michael Ritzert
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New code for testing
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:54:34 +0200

   From: "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:51:48 -0400 (EDT)
   Sender: address@hidden

   > 1. I have noticed that configure creates "makefile" (lower case m) and
   > there is a "Makefile" (upper case m) which remains unchanged - which
   > installs things into /usr/local.  Some make's when faced with 2 files
   > of the same name, differing only by case, make a choice of one.  I
   > recommend that the Makefile be renamed to Makefile-noconfig or some
   > such thing.
   afaik, there are no UNIX make programs that would choose Makefile over
   makefile (that's the standard behavior).  The choice of name was designed

???? AFAIK, most unix make programs choose Makefile over makefile,
i've fooled myself in running Makefile instead of makefile
accidentally. You usually run into this when You compile DOS or TOS
sources on Unix.

   to phase in the autoconfigure stuff, but when done, there's no reason to
   keep the non-autoconf'd Makefile at all (so to appease people who find it
   easier to find, that'd be the time too rename makefile.in to Makefile.in

I suggest to put not "Makefile" or "makefile" at all into the
distribution. Instead wide spread practice should be joined:
Have something like

Makefile.usg
Makefile.bsd
Makefile.w32

for the no_autoconf case (actually only systems without a modern sh
implementation or exotic/old/limited make programs need such a makefile)

And tell people who cannot use autoconf to run these files after
editing with make -f Makefile.xxx or copying/linking Makefile.xxx to
Makefile

Michael
;
;