lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx32 blows up when reading >64k

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx32 blows up when reading >64k
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:44:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       If you can't induce the document provider to fix that HTML, then
> conceptualizing it as a need to "fix the problem in lynx" won't get you
> any further.  Arbitrarily increasing the size of the stack or making it
> dynamic won't get the anchors handled properly.

I was just wondering how much would get us how far.  You must have come up
with 800 some how.

> You can check for whether me->inA is TRUE under case HTML_A: in
> HTML_start_element(), and if so call HTML_end_element() to close it
> before starting the next anchor, and add precautionary checks in
> HTML_end_element() to not pop the stack and not invoke the close anchor
> code if it's called to close an anchor when me->inA is FALSE.  That will
> get the document rendered without a stack overflow, and get the anchors
> with HREFs registered as links which can be activated, but their link
> names will not all be what's indended, particularly in conjunction with
> other bad HTML in that document.

This is what I was thinking, but I have tried it before and it doesn't
translate real well to Lynx's method of parsing.  As you say, it still
doesn't give the full desired results.

>       If you're talking about rewriting Lynx in conformance with
> what specs Netscape offers, that won't help either because Netscape
> doesn't actually conform to them.

*sigh*

What the heck *do* they do?  Netscape will read all the way to the end of
a bad document to decide if it should accept a > instead of a --> in a
comment.  Then it will back all the way up to the start of the comment and
continue.  Thats pretty nasty.

>       Some thing just fall in the category of wishful thinking,
> and discussions about them might just as well be about fitting more
> angels on the head of a pin.  Sigh...
>
>       Lot's of worthwhile things still CAN be done with Lynx,
> if realistic objectives are set.

I could make something nasty, but as you have said before I don't have the
proper understanding of HTML specs that a person doing that job should
have.  It would be more of a stylized interpretation then a conformance.
I have tried real hard not to butcher lynx during my WinDOS ports--I'd
rather not start now (at least, not yet ;-)

Wayne

;
;