lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:14:50 -0400

At 07:25 AM 4/14/97 -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Howard Kaikow wrote:

>> > But leaving it as .doc and 'D'ownloading with lynx results in text/plain,
>> > that's the problem.
>
>Maybe I misunderstood you earlier.  What exactly do you mean with
>"results in text/plain"?  And what option did you select in Lynx
>after pressing the 'D' key?

It is not a byte for byte copy. THe file is processed as if it were text so
some codes are converted or lost.

>If you don't get an exact byte-by-byte copy of your file on the server,
>then I suspect, by now, that that server is not working correctly or
>misconfigured.  Have you checked whether a regular ftp client gives you
>an exact copy?

Pause ...
OK, I just tried regular FTP, it works as expected

ftp ftp.mv.com
cd pub/users/standards/public
binary
get annex01a.doc
quit
sz -b annex01a.doc

And the file is opened correctly by Word.

How do I tell whether the FTP server is configured correctly?

>(I am assuming you are not using VMS, which I guess would complicate
>things.)

No, I did that for 13 years before getting downsized by DEC.

;
;