lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing

From: David Hardy
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:31:01 +0100

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:51, address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:

>> If the people UNDERSTAND that, then maybe they'll be
>> more interested in getting their html "right".
>
> Nope.  I've tried with literally hundreds of sites to get them to clean
> up their act (including some folk within what I would have considered
> my own sphere of influence).  They consistently reply 'The page works fine
> for over 90% of the folk using it.  I will not waste time making the
> page 'better' just to suit a small group of unlikely users, regardless
> of who they are.
>
> Arguments regarding limited hardware, speed, handicaps, etc. fall of 'deaf
> ears' so to speak.

To a degree, Lynx shoots itself in the foot as far as web server usage is
concerned. Graphical browsers such as NetScape make multiple hits on a web
server to get the text and the graphics (plus all the other fancy bits added in
by web page authors who have no notion of the time it takes to download all
this stuff), whereas Lynx makes far fewer hits, not needing all that fancy
stuff. This makes some folk *think* that Lynx is used only by a small
proportion of users.

David