lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:49:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 12:48:28 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>       I added a space before the != for the generic test in
> HTML_start_element(), replaced the explicit test for HTML_FORM
> with the generic test in HTML_end_element(), and modified its
> comment accordingly.  There are no functional changes.

Looking at it again, there as a line setting me->inUnderline that
appeared to be new, but is just part of your original fix... Sorry.

Anyway, my friend who is running the formhack version found a page with
bad html that is still bad with the formhack.
However, I don't see anything wrong with the trace.  (At least there are no
"Found this when expecting that" errors.

The url is  http://www.comptime.com/nisbet/trivia.html

This brings up another suggestion:
I think it would be nice -- and easy to do --
to make the trace messages for errors easier to locate.
For example, if the user sees "Bad html, use -tracae..."
then some kind of "ERROR" string should be put inthe corresponding
message in the trace output.  Trace output is hard to read for someone
who doesn't know lynx (which is most people).

I assume it would be much harder to add source line numbers to
trace output...  But a simple "error" string would be minor
and would simplify things immensely.

THanks.
--le
;