lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:20:49 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>>[...]
>>      The important thing is to exercise the patch to see if it's
>> still as crash safe as the vanilla v2.7.1 for bad HTML affecting
>> FORM markup.   It probably is, but it's impossible to think through
>> all possible consequences of bad HTML in one's head, and it took
>> two years of tweaking to make the FORM code as crash safe from bad
>> HTML as it is in the formal releases.
>
>I have yet another small variation (which I put in my code but haven't
>tested much).  It consists of replacing the test(s) for
>
>    (element_number != HTML_FORM)
>
>at the beginning of HTML_end_element(), in the stack-popping code, with
>testing for
>
>    (HTML_dtd.tags[element_number].contents != SGML_EMPTY)
>[...]
>
>This is the same test that is used in the corresponding stack-*pushing*
>code in HTML_start_element(), and it *should* be equivalent to testing
>just for HTML_FORM, since HTML_FORM is currently the only element
>declared SGML_EMPTY which can possibly result in a call to
>HTML_end_element() - right?
>
>If this is wrong, I would appreciate a correction.

        Of course it's not wrong.  I should have used the generic test
in the first place.

        I updated formhack.patch in:

        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/
or:      ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/fote/patches

to use the generic test.  People checking out the original patch need
not bother to upgrade, since there's no functional change.

                                Fote