lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LynxScape

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LynxScape
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:56:09 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> Shall we work towards making all the other thing Lynx can't do because
> they are not right, work?  Like spaces in URL's and improper
> html://host/../file.html urls?

This most probably isn't the best way to do this, but anyway.  Lynx
already supports 2 levels of comment parsing, so why can we not build in
an option (or options) that allows the user to choose the "emulation"
level as such.  Ie, if Lynx as Lynx doesn't like the page, they press a
key or 2 (or :mode netscape if : mode is ever implemented) and Lynx
enables the "Netscape handling" parts that it needs.

Ok, this will most probably lead to code bloat, which we don't want, but it
could be made a compile time option.  Heck, if we can, why not make it a
bit more modular, so that Lynx itself is jut the core, and you can pull a
"Netscape style parser", "Java Parser" etc...?

Duncan Hill