lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lagging Processes

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lagging Processes
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:23:58 -0800

Daniel Spillers wrote:

> I have Lynx set up to be the shell for my users.
>
> For some users (i haven't been able to yet find a pattern), whenever they
> quit lynx (and are afterwards logged off), it seems that their
> process/shell still sits there. Five or six of these, and my machine
> starts slowing down.
>
> Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated,

This list can probably help you, but you need to include more
information.  For starters: what version of Lynx?  Under what operating
system and version?  Be as specific as possible.

If these lingering processes slow down your machine, they are probably
spinning rather than sitting idle.  Use the tools provided by your
operating system to try to see what they're doing.  Such tools might
include: ps; truss, strace or trace; top; etc.

Are you sure the lingering processes are caused by normal logouts?  I
wouldn't expect problems with normal, graceful logouts.  But if the
client is a PC running some sort of MS operating system, and the user
"logs out" by turning off or rebooting his PC, things could get weird.

>Bela<
;
;