lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: your mail

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: your mail
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:53:22 -0600 (CST)

You (John Kelly) wrote:
> While trying to access "http://www.orthomed.org"; this is the reply I
> received, "Viewing this page requires a browser capable of displaying
> frames.Recommends system administrator to modify the system wide Lynx
> CFG to point to a resource that is more useful to the average user
> (preferably one which is local).Please advise.Thank you.John P. Kelly,
> 9000-Shore Road West,Apt.10B.Brooklyn,New York.11209.Tel#718-836-6592.

Greetings. Lynx  2.7 will allow navigation of this unfriendly site.
I have send them a kind note regarding the extraordinarily easy way
they could avoid blocking so many people. Speaking of which, here's
an addition to the:

"Suggestions for Lynx-Friendly Adaptations to HTML Documents"

-----------------chop-with-axe----------------chop-with-axe---------------------
* Please do not assume that everyone uses frames or WANTS to use frames.
With that in mind, please add a link to your main Table of Contents page
(usually a frame in itself) inside <NOFRAMES></NOFRAMES> somewhere inside
your document. Please refrain from insulting our intelligence and giving
us nothing but a cheap link to Netscape and Microsoft. We have good
reasons for using the browser we are using: maybe we have a slow system,
a small monitor, a slow connection, or are blind.

* Checking for the user's browser in Javascript ASSUMES that said browser
even handles Javascript or that it is enabled. If not, the browser shows
whatever came before or after the Javascript - alas, often nothing! Please
include a simple link to your main Table of Contents for those without
Javascript somewhere after the check.

Take care.
;
;