lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Development code

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Development code
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 07:40:56 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
> One idea for folk.  I suggest that when you number your releases you use a
> 2 or 3 digit number - 01 or 001.  Then you don't end up wiht versions
> 0.6 being older than 0.31 ...

One area that still needs to be reconciled for distributing the merged
development code is the nomenclature.  Historically, Lynx versions were
LynxI-J-K.  Tom's patch sets have used dates, and Klaus' sets have been
numbered and lettered.  Plus, the PRCS code management software defaults
to increasing decimal numbers (without leading zeroes), but it wil allow
additional descriptors in the "version" identifier.

So (deep breath), what about just calling the development version
lynx-current, and using the PRCS software mark userdefs.h (or some other
file like "version.h") the way Klaus has it now:

/* The strange-looking comment on the next line tells PRCS to replace
 * the version definition with the Project Version on checkout. Just
 * ignore it. - kw */
/* $Format: "#define LYNX_VERSION \"$ProjectVersion$\""$ */
#define LYNX_VERSION "2.7ac-0.6"

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
How do you think I feel?