lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV U201e and U201c

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV U201e and U201c
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:57:48 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> I might use a few more lines:
>
> 0x22  U+201c U+201d U+201e U+201f   ["]
> 0x27  U+2019                        [']
> 0x2c  U+201a                        [,]
> 0x60  U+2018 U+201b                 [`]
>
> If there's a way to map a single Unicode character to more than one
> ASCII character, I'd use
>
> 0x27 0x27  U+201d                   ['']
> 0x2c 0x2c  U+201e                   [,,]
> 0x60 0x60  U+201c U+201f            [``]
[and Hynek subsequently converted that to the right chartrans syntax.]

I would much prefer not to do it this way.  This tries to approximate
the graphical appearance of the characters as closely as possible.  I
would prefer to rather approximate the meaning.

For example, in German the low double quotation mark is used at the
beginning of quotes.  But a German reader will recognize [,,] on a
text screen as just two commas, whereas ["] is immedately recognized
as a quotation mark (not in the same position or appearance as in
print, but that comes with the medium "text screen" and is not
unexpected.)  The same goes, to a lesser extent, for the other
double-character replacements, and for the single comma.

And I think it is easier to read about "Fierlingerismus" than it is to
read about ,,Fierlingerismus``.  Agreed?

[Note that the example also uses the "wrong" closing quote character.]

  Klaus

;
;