lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Tables and text alignment

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: LYNX-DEV Tables and text alignment
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:07:53 -0600 (CST)

Since we've been having problems with Lynx's alignment of text when in
tables, how difficult would it be to change the way Lynx handles tables as
described below.  (I'm gonna use braces to surround the HTML so the
archive won't get confused.)

My understanding is that Lynx handles TR (or /TR?) as a BR and TD (or
/TD?) as a collapsible space.  If there is an ALIGN attribute on the TR,
would it not be possible to use that ALIGN element in a DIV to accomplish
the same thing? i.e. {TR ALIGN=CENTER}{/TR} would be treated as {BR}{DIV
ALIGN=CENTER}{/DIV} (or the BR might be last).  Naturally if no ALIGN is
encountered, an ALIGN=LEFT would be assumed.

I'm not sure how to handle ALIGN's in TD's.  I don't think much could be
done to remedy that.  I presume that an explicit {P ALIGN=CENTER} in a
cell would override any assumed DIV's.

Comments, suggestions?  Is this not possible, would it cause other
problems, etc.?