lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV trademark (TM, not ®) in Lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV trademark (TM, not ®) in Lynx
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:44:59 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Klaus,
>
> Should your character test pages be included in the test directory of the Lynx
> distribution?

Right now, the one listed first below is just fooling around (Use At Your
Own Risk![tm]), the onther ones I find useful, but regard them as less
stable than the code itself.  Finally they may end up in the distribution,
at least one to parallel the existing iso8859-2.html.

Currently the test pages show several problems in the chartrans code,
which I have to correct before we can go and say "Look what Lynx can do
but all those others can't!"...  (and maybe that's just wishful thinking.)

I certainly would like to see others create similar test pages for *their*
favorite character set!

> Maybe you'll also enjoy my test pages... at
> <URL:http://www.tezcat.com/~kweide/test/TM.reg>
> <URL:http://www.tezcat.com/~kweide/lynx-chartrans/test/ALT-test.iso8859-2.L2html>
> <URL:http://www.tezcat.com/~kweide/lynx-chartrans/test/test.iso8859-2.L2html>

The (last two) tests are mostly specific to Latin-2 characters.  As I sai
I am aware of problems. but if anybody (with or without a Latin-2 display
character set) finds something in them where the chartrans-Lynx does
*worse* than "regular" Lynx I would like to hear about it.

I am also curious whether people with the Windows port can get e.g. the
trade mark sign to display in the native Windows font.  (Should go to
O)ptions and set display C)haracter set to to "MS Windows CP 1250" or
"MS Windows CP 1252".  Then test how &#8482; displays.  &trade; will be
shown as the four letters (TM), that is an inconsistency I already know).
I have no way of testing that now.

  Klaus

;
;