lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx_w32.zip

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx_w32.zip
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:23:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

> Well, I'm in Pine in a TeraTerm session, with Lynx_32 in a different
> window on a W95 laptop.  Pretty nice!
>
> Questions (from a unix, not w95 geek):
>
> *)  For ms-dos programs, you can set the environment variables such
>     as TEMP and TERM from the properties tab.  I had to set these in
>     autoexec.bat.  Is there a way to do this for just this app?

Best way is a bat file that sets the variables and then runs lynx.

> *)  I set the variable "SMTPHOST", but the sendmail.exe complains
>     it still needs one.  Plus, it changes the name on the window from
>     LYNX to SENDMAIL.  Can I use an external mailer?  What to do?

Forget SMTPHOST.  The answer is in the sendmail.txt.  You need something
like the following in lynx.cfg:

SYSTEM_MAIL:sendmail -f address@hidden -h my.host -r my.smtp.mailer -m SMTP

If sendmail.exe is not in your path then you can specify its location:

SYSTEM_MAIL:d:\win32\sendmail -f address@hidden -h my.host -r my.smtp.mailer
-m SMTP

This works only with the free sendmail/NT that I put with the Win32 zip
file.  (The author, Nigel R. Ellis <address@hidden>, said it was
ok!)  Make sure you don't have another sendmail.exe in you path.

> *)  Can I cut and paste into the "G" entry field?

Yes, the trick to pasting is you have to turn off "Fast pasting."  It is
in the Misc properties of the icon you use to start lynx (if you set up a
bat file).  You may also want to check off the "Close on exit box" under
program so that it works better as a default browser.

> How do I set it so local .htm(l) documents will launch lynx instead
> of "those other" browsers?

Be forewarned, installing the next version of IE or Netscape will likely
blow this away.  Anyhow, run Windows Explorer. Select View->Options->File
Types. Find HTML in the list.  Select Edit.  Select Edit again and you can
finally say what you want to run.  First, turn off DDE (no idea how to
make that happen).  Here is my Application line:

D:\win32\lynx.bat

Here is my lynx.bat:

@ECHO OFF
set home=d:\win32
set temp=d:\tmp
set lynx_cfg=d:\win32\lynx.cfg
d:\win32\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

Phew.  I know it looks like a lot of hacks, but when you want Win95 to
look like unix you have to fool around a bit.  I have all my console utils
in my path so things work a bit more seemlessly.  With a bit of work you
can get almost anything to work (like realaudio spawned from lynx).

Wayne

P.S. Anyone who runs Win95 and is a unix fan should check out Virtually
UN*X! <http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/>

;
;