lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:55:55 -0500 (EST)

  From: Alan Cox <address@hidden>

[sorry, I have lost track of who said this...]
  > And I ask, again, why would I want my lynx.cfg to be accessable by
  > ~buttles/ ?  Can you even count on everyone's home being the same place on
  > a unix box?  NO.  So you can't be sure that ~fred/ is the same as
  > /home2/fred/ when you live in /home/buttles/.
  >
  > I just don't see why it matters.

When more than one person works on a software project, the
productive thing is to write HTML notes about your work in
progress, so that you can hot-link references to others'
explanations (why I beat up on Subir to hot-link his ftp URL to
the _HTML_ Readme page at the MORE.NET mirror...).

In that kind of a team context, ~joe is exactly what you want, so
IRM can change ~joe from home2 to home7 entirely transparent to
the integrity of the project web of cross-references among the
designers.

You want file and not HTTP access for speed and privacy.  You and
Joe will belong to an access-privilege group for the project so
that you can read files from ~joe, but UID=blabbermouth can't.

It's a very fine point.  But there is a non-trivial reason why
you want it that way.

--
Al Gilman
;