lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Yahoo search: Alta Vista query help (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Yahoo search: Alta Vista query help (fwd)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:02:20 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> I think that you have enough evidence to move Lynx off the primary
> suspects list:  The page you got has text that says "Displaying
> matches 1-4" and yet what it generates as the link for "next 20"
> has a parameter "b=21" directing the next page to start at 21.
> This sounds like a logic problem on the server side.  Of course,
> "on the server side" here includes the Yahoo gateway and the
> Alta Vista server.
>
> Why sasquatch triggers this is known only to the bug, at the
> moment.
>
> Unless inspection of the HTML source of the page (with four hits)
> reveals something twisted, I think that you have cleared Lynx.
>
> Diagnosis has got to be done from Sasquatch, because that is
> the only site known to exhibit this problem.
>
> You may be able to help Yahoo/Alta_Vista find their bug by the
> output of running Lynx in trace mode.

It seems to be something at av.yahoo.com, something based on IP
address of the request.  I get the same symptoms from 206.230.56.86,
with the difference that I get 16 entries (4 are not shown) instead
of just 4.  20 entries are shown as expected when the request is
from one of several other IP addresses.

This is not Lynx dependent.  It happens with other browsers.

This has to be taken up with Yahoo.

  Klaus

;
;