lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:25:44 +0900 (JST)

> OK folks, is there a goal for Lynx 3.0 or 2.8 or whatever we are going to
> call it?

Just rambling here, but personally I think we're ready for a really
experimental Lynx.  Let it be buggy and crumby - but exciting.  That
should be 2.8, and it should include Klaus's, Wayne's and Rob's work.
And it could happen right NOW if there's any way we could get a
consensus.  2.7 is solid as a rock.  That's just one of Fote's
beautiful legacies.  2.7 is what people should build for freenets;
what the _user_ should be using.  Let 2.8 rocket Lynx into a new era.
Then 3.0 will really be a version, and NS and MSIE will have buried
themselves in some hole they dug.

> One major goal for me is to have at least a Win32 version integrated into
> the mainstream code and hopefully a semi-functional DJGPP version as well.

Not just you.  This is an admirable goal, and for lynx-dev to pass up this
opportunity would be a tragedy.  How about it?  Is there any reason Wayne
shouldn't put up his portable-to-Win32 lynx2.7+bugfixes (to answer your
question of the other day), and call it 2.8?  If Klaus and Rob should be
inclined they could offer replacement file sets to that 2.8.  Whereever
they overlap, there's enough of us out here who could patch it together.

> Is Rob still the current de-facto maintainer?

There is no de-facto maintainer.  Again, just a personal opinion, but
putting that burden on Rob seems like a waste of his talents.  The only
reliable site I can see for even 2.7 is Scott's.  Scott has the hardware
for sure, and has been extremely generous with his personal time to give
Fote and the lynx-dev community a working environment.  Hiram, while spare
time is nonexistent, has the judgement capabilities and programming skills
to coordinate and integrate.  But we want him to graduate cum laude above
all things.

If you're going to flame me, do it to me: address@hidden
You won't do lynx-dev a favor by doing it to the list.  Thanks.

__Henry
;
;