lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7 released - February 15, 1997

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7 released - February 15, 1997
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:25:43 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>      Define BOXVERT and BOXHORI to 0 in userdefs.h when you build Lynx
>>for the solaris2 target (the popups will look much cleaner 8-).
>
>Fote,
>
>I tried defining BOXVERT and BOXHORI to 0 in userdefs.h, but can see no
>difference. In fact, I thought it looked nice and clean anyway. When I
>do a popup I see a nice rectangular line around the popup menu. If you
>want to see the difference, /usr/local/bin/lynx is the 2-7 I did yesterday,
>and /usr/local/src/misc/lynx/lynx2-7ssl/lynx is compiled with the changes
>you mentioned. Both look identical to me. (Under both rxvt and telnet)

        When I 'd'ownloaded it to my account there and unzipped it
yesterday, I got graphic characters in the corners, but astericks
instead of graphic characters for the vertical and horizontal lines
of the popup boxing.  In theory, you need to define those two to 0
instead of "*" when you compile it for curses.  That's what I'd been
doing when working on it there to get entirely graphic characters for
the boxing.  I just tried /usr/local/bin/lynx and it indeed is giving
all graphic characters, unlike the image I broke out of your zip yesterday
(and it shouldn't if you didn't set it up to pass NULL arguments to
the curses box() function).  It doesn't matter for the solaris2-slang
target because that uses the slang library's boxing function, with
graphic boxing regardless of the BOXVERT and BOXHORI definitions in
userdefs.h.

        OK, I just 'd'ownload and broke out

        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/solaris/lynx2-7.zip

again, and ran is as

        /home/macrides/lynx popup.html

and it shows the same mixed graphic/ascii boxing as yesterday, in contrast

        /usr/local/bin/lynx popup.html

which yields all graphic boxing.

        By the way, popup.html is Larry's test HTML, and I can't
reproduce the problem he described in his second message (about where
the cursor, per se, is positioned) no matter how I build or configure
Lynx on your system.  On invoking the popup, the SELECTED option
always is highlighted, and the cursor is positioned immediately to
the right of it, not in front or above it.  That's true (and should
be) whether show_cursor is on or off.  When the popup is not being
invoked, with show_cursor on, the cursor sits on the open-square-bracket
of the retracted SELECT field (otherwise, at the lower, right-hand
corner of the screen).   When invoked, the SELECTED option would be
positioned on the same line as the retracted field, unless, as in
that example, there is not enough room above it on the screen, in which
case the top of the box is at the very top of the screen, and the
SELECTED option is as for down as dictated by the number of unSELECTED
options above it.

        Anyway, I do think you should build the solaris2 image with
BOXVERT and BOXHORI defined to 0, since that guarantees graphic boxing
in all cases, and it can't be changed via lynx.cfg.

        Also, why not include lynx.cfg together with the image and
userdefs.h in the zip, instead of relying on instructions to get
it via a second 'd'ownload?  That should increase the chances of
lynx.cfg being updated together with the image.  Also also, why
not include a brief README instructing a potentially utterly naive
installer to check the included lynx.cfg to change any compilation
defaults which are not as desired for the system?

                                Fote