lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV XV

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV XV
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:32:08 -0500

Thanks for showing us the raw data.  Now there's no doubt; xv is not
free software, not even close.  Some people are allowed to run xv at
no charge, but free software is a matter of freedom, not price.  (See
http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/philosophy/categories.html for a
definition.)

Whether to install xv on a machine is decided by the machine's users,
not by you or me.  But one decision that the Lynx maintainers do make
is what recommendations to include in Lynx.

By recommending free programs, one can encourage people to use free
software more, instead of non-free software.  This is one way that
developers of different free software packages can help each other.

--
We are holding the second free software conference in San Francisco on
February 20-21.  We hope you can come.  For more info, see